Through press release means, Warner Bros. has officially detailed the contents of Middle-earth: Shadow of War‘s expansion pass. Alongside this announcement, a new trailer has emerged, showing gameplay from every included piece of paid bonus content.
Not only will the expansion pass add story content, but it will also bolster the game world with two new tribes, those being the Slaughter Tribe and the Outlaw Tribe. One will kill you, then decorate its fortress with your guts, while the other is a band of outcasts that will stop at nothing to defeat those who get in their way. Both will, of course, factor into the Nemesis System, by introducing new orcs, missions and fortresses, among other things.
On the narrative side, players who’ve ponied up the extra cash can expect two different campaign expansions. The first, Blade of Galadriel, will task users with controlling Eltariel as she scours Mordor and both learns about and does battle against the Nazgul. That will then be followed up by the Desolation of Mordor expansion, which will focus on Baranor, the captain of Minas Ithril who made history as being the first person of colour to appear in Tolkien’s fictional world. In it, the noteworthy survivor (and ally of Talion) will venture into a new desert region, wherein he’ll hire mercenaries, create a human army and attempt to conquer the area.
Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
- The gruesome Slaughter tribe invades Mordor introducing new missions, Epic and Legendary Orcs, tribal showdowns and fierce battles, brought to life through the Nemesis System.
- New Slaughter tribe fortress with Overlord throne room, monuments and outposts.
- Players can hunt down Legendary Slaughter tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges.
- Slaughter Orcs are the most bloodthirsty in Mordor, capable of ambushing players at any point, creating a deadly new challenge for players.
- Available November 2017.
Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
- The proud Outlaw tribe arise within Mordor introducing new missions, Epic and Legendary Orcs, tribal showdowns and intense battles, brought to life through the Nemesis System.
- New Outlaw tribe fortress with Overlord throne room, monuments and outposts.
- Players can hunt down Legendary Outlaw tribe Orcs for a new Legendary gear set with additional upgrade challenges.
- The Outlaw tribe is home to the most rebellious warriors in Orc society, outcasts who have a deep contempt of all those who would rule them, be they foreign invaders or Lords of Mordor (whether Dark or Bright).
- Available December 2017.
Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
- Play as Eltariel, an elite assassin known as the Blade of Galadriel, and go head-to-head with the newest addition to the ranks of the Nazgûl.
- Wield Eltariel’s dual Elven blades and harness the Light of Galadriel with a host of deadly new combat abilities, skills and gear.
- Encounter memorable new Nemesis characters, such as Flint and Tinder and the Slayer of the Dead, while battling the Nazgûl and learning more mysteries of their past.
- Gain eight unique Legendary Orcs who can return to join your forces in the main story campaign with new abilities added to the Nemesis System.
- Unlockable Eltariel character skin for the main story campaign.
- Available February 2018.
Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
- Play as Baranor, the Captain of Minas Ithil and survivor of the city’s demise, in a new story expansion where players will command the forces of Man against a new Orc threat to the East.
- Unite with Torvin, the Dwarven Hunter, to craft powerful new combat gear, including the shield, gauntlet, chain and glider.
- Hire mercenaries to create a human army and conquer the all new desert region of Lithlad.
- Fight to survive in Mordor as a human without the power of a Ring or a wraith to cheat death in a new rogue-like campaign mode.
- Unlockable Baranor character skin for the main story campaign.
- Available May 2018.
Middle-earth: Shadow of War‘s expansion pass is available as part of its gold edition, and can also be purchased separately for $39.99 USD/$49.99 CAD. Each of the aforementioned expansions will also become available for individual purchase, with the first three being $14.99 USD and the last (Desolation of Mordor) being $19.99 USD.