Team17 waited until Canada Day to introduce the next entry in their long running and beloved Worms franchise. One they call Worms Rumble, and for good reason.
Worms Rumble is a thirty-two player battle royale, which takes place in real time unlike previous iterations. It will feature new stages, weapons and abilities, but will also retain fan favourites as one would expect. Going further, the game will support Deathmatch and Last Worm Standing modes, the latter of which will apparently be playable solo or in squads.
What’s also really interesting about Rumble is its cross-play support. It will release onto PS4, PS5 and PC, and you will be able to play with others from each platform.
Here’s the supplied list of key features:
- Worms goes real-time: Every round is in REAL TIME. When enemies rain down fire, unleash wormageddon right back!
- Up-to-32-player, cross-platform multiplayer: Play across PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and PC, with Deathmatch and Last Worm Standing solo and squad Battle Royale modes available at launch.
- Classic Weapons/New Ways to Play: Arm Worms with new and returning fan-favourite weapons!
- Events, Challenges and ‘The Lab’: Take part in seasonal events, daily and community challenges, and experiment with new gameplay mechanics and weapons in ‘The Lab’.
- Player Customisations: Earn XP and in-game currency to unlock and purchase weapon skins, outfits, accessories and emotes. Players create their personal style for the battlefield.
Interested in giving this thing a shot? Well, you’re in luck. You can currently sign up for the Worms Rumble Steam beta, and help shape the game. It will run from July 15th (at 7am EST) until July 20th (at 3am EST).