During today’s digital QuakeCon at Home event, Bethesda Softworks revealed something interesting. That is, a remastered version of the original Quake, which they’re calling Quake: Enhanced.
Ratings were spotted earlier today, and they started to appear in online posts and message boards just before the game actually launched as a surprise release. When it did, it brought with it:
- The Original Quake, Enhanced: Experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original Quake.
- Featuring resolutions up to 4K and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and color lightning, anti-aliasing, depth of field, and the original soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor. There has never been a better time to relive or experience Quake for the first time.
- Online, Cross-play, & Local Multiplayer and CO-OP: Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring cross-play between all platforms and dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.
- Original and New Expansions Included: Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”
At this moment in time, Quake: Enhanced is only available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC. Of course, it’s also backwards compatible for both Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5. Those ‘next-gen’ consoles will eventually receive their own, updated versions, touting native 4K at 120 frames-per-second. This will come as a free update, much like the PC version of Enhanced will for those who already own the original.
Of course, thanks to the recent Microsoft/Bethesda deal, this updated classic is also live on Xbox Game Pass.
Three physical editions are also en route from Limited Run Games, including a standard edition ($29.99 USD), a Quake Deluxe Edition ($79.99 USD) and a Quake Ultimate Edition ($174.99). They’ll go up for pre-order on the 27th of this month.
Quake Standard Edition (PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch): $29.99
● Physical Game Disc
● Color Manual
● Standard Edition Box
Quake Deluxe Edition (PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch): $79.99
● Quake Steelbook
● 18×24’ Double Sided Poster
● Metal Quake Logo Keychain
● Commemorative Metal Coin
● Deluxe Edition Box
Quake Ultimate Edition (PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch): $174.99
● Includes everything from the Deluxe Edition
● Quake Logo Shirt
● Ring of Shadows
● Enamel Pin
● 3’ Metal Shambler Figure
● Commemorative Metal Coin
● 18’ x 24’ Reversible Poster
● Metal Keychain
● Motorized Rotating Quake Quad Damage Replica Statue
● Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
● Nail Gun Ammo Outer Box