Although it was revealed during last night’s Game Awards, Sniper Elite 5 wasn’t actually shown. Instead, a picture of a computer database — or something like it — was posted online, alongside a promise of a trailer to follow. Today, we have that trailer for you, along with details pertaining to the game’s story and content.
Read on for part of the press release, which outlines Sniper Elite 5‘s storyline, its map design, its gameplay elements and its key features:
As part of a covert US Rangers operation to weaken the Atlantikwall fortifications along the coast of Brittany, Karl makes contact with the French Resistance. Soon they uncover a secret Nazi project that threatens to end the war before the Allies can even invade Europe: Operation Kraken. It’s Karl’s mission to take out the high ranking Nazi officers and end Operation Kraken once and for all.
Based upon real-world locations from France in 1944, the new game maps are the largest and most immersive in the franchise’s history. The game’s new traversal system offers players an even greater sandbox of options when it comes to taking out their targets. Players can even invite a friend to help them on their mission with enhanced co-operative gameplay options.
Sniper Elite 5 continues the franchise’s unparalleled tactical sniping experience complete with incredible ballistics and an enhanced kill cam, taking the genre-defining feature to the next level. New customization options allow you to adjust your rifle, other weapons and ammo to suit the mission and your play style.
- Expansive Campaign – Real-world locations have been captured using photogrammetry to recreate a living, immersive environment, and multiple infiltration and extraction points along with kill list targets provide a whole new perspective on each mission. Take on the Nazi plot solo or work with a partner, with improved co-op mechanics allowing you to share ammo and items, give orders and heal each other.
- Advanced gunplay physics and traversal – Use ziplines, slide down slopes and shimmy along ledges to reach the perfect vantage point, or to sneak past a sharp-eyed lookout. Factor in rifle stock and barrel options along with gravity, wind and heart rate while you line up your sights on the target.
- High caliber customization – Use workbenches to customize and upgrade virtually every aspect of your weapon. Change scopes, stocks, barrels, magazines and more. Rifles, secondary weapons and pistols all have a huge variety of options. On top of that, you can select the ammo to suit your target, from armor-piercing right down to non-lethal.
- Invasion mode drop-in PVP – You can invade another player’s Campaign as an Axis sniper and engage in a deadly game of cat and mouse, providing a new dimension to the challenge as you stalk your prey. Alternatively, as Karl, you can call for assistance and have a second sniper drop in to help you out of a tricky situation.
- Tense adversarial multiplayer – Customize your character and loadout and earn XP, medals and ribbons as you take on intensely competitive 16-player battles that will really test your sharpshooting skills. If co-op’s more your style, you can team up with up to three other players against waves of enemies in Survival mode.
- Enhanced kill cam – More realistic and grisly than ever, the trademark X-ray kill cam returns, showing you the true destructive power of each shot. Bones deflect bullets unpredictably, ripping a new path through enemy bodies. SMGs and pistols can also trigger kill cams, including multiple shots in dramatic slow motion.
Sniper Elite 5 will release in 2022, and will be a day one Game Pass title when it does so. Expect to be able to play it on Xbox Series, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4 or PC.
Leave a Reply